Friday, June 13, 2014

Commitment Issues

In tidying up my sewing room (which is a never ending endeavour), I came across several envelopes of pieces that I had pre-cut some time ago. These had been intended for a quilt design that I was very keen on... at the time. Now, I'm not.

They have officially become Scraps.

  

This is the very reason why I rarely ever do a massive pre-cut before I start to work. It's my own, private Murphy's Law: A complete, total pre-cut will ultimately result in an abandoned, unfinished quilt. I lose steam in all that preparatory activity, and I become my own buzz kill. So, "cut a little, sew a little" is the way forward for me.

What works for you? A big, pre-cutting session, or a "little by little" approach? Let me know what you think!

2 comments:

  1. If I am taking a project for a sewing retreat, I will pre-cut so I can sew, sew, sew. If I am making the project at home, I will cut some and sew some because I may decide to change a fabric during the process. Sometimes a pre-cut for a home project, so I can sew uninterupted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. Will you share the name of the top (blue?) fabric with me? Thanks!
    Oh, and to answer the question, I tend to cut everything, then get distracted by something new and shiny. The fabric selection, maths, and cutting are my favorite part.

    ReplyDelete